Online casinos are becoming increasingly popular in many places, and New Zealand is not far behind in this trend. That means that there are plenty of online casinos to choose from, and picking one can be difficult. There are many platforms you can choose from, meaning tons of details need to be considered.
Whenever you visit an online casino, the first thing you want to be sure of is that you’re playing in a safe environment; precisely for that purpose, we compiled a list of safe online casinos New Zealand residents can play at with peace of mind. Read through the list and find yourfavourite!
||Up to $2,000 + 150 Free Spins
||100% deposit match up to $1,000
||Up to $1,000 on the first deposit
||20 Free Spin + deposit match up to $1,200
||100% deposit match up to $2,000 + 200 Free Spins + 1 Bonus Crab
||20 No Deposit Free Spins + Deposit match up to $200 + 80 Free Spins
||First deposit match up to $2,000
||Up to $1,000 on first two deposits + 200 Free Spins
||$1,500 + 100 Free Spins
||Up to $6,500 on the first deposit + 50 Free Spins
Top Recommended NZ Online Casinos
- LeoVegas – Best for mobile play
- Royal Panda – Best for game variety
- Betway – Best customer support
- Casumo – Best for fast withdrawals
- Wazamba – Best welcome bonus
- Karamba – Best No deposit bonus
- SlotsPalace – Best for cryptocurrency payments
- Wildz – Best for quick registration
- Rocket – Best for VIP Programme
- Casimba – Best for high payouts
Reviews of the Safest Online Casinos in New Zealand
To make your choice easier, read through the reviews of the best online casinos in New Zealand and discover what they have to offer.
At LeoVegas, players can choose different online casino games and play anything from pokies and table games to live casino dealers and jackpots. All of the games are optimised for mobile play, and you’ll also find two dedicated mobile apps. No matter if you’re an Android or iOS user, this is one of the New Zealand online casino sites that have you covered.
In fact, this is one of the most well-established online casino NZ sites, welcoming Kiwis since 2012. The provider’s experience is evident in the well-organised interface and carefullycurated game selection. There’s a variety of payment methods, while sports betting is also available for anyone that wants to step away from casino games.
- Large pokies library
- Generous welcome bonus
- Easy-to-navigate interface
- Live chat support
- Email responses can take a long time
- Lengthier verification process
The games offered at Royal Panda are superior when it comes to variety. You can find many themes, in-game bonus features, and varying RTPs on the platform; better yet, they’re supplied by leading software providers in the online casino industry. Holding a licence from the Malta Gaming Authority and implementing various security measures, Royal Panda has cemented itself as one of the legit online casinos available in New Zealand.
This NZ online casino accepts payments through reputable payment providers, employs Responsible Gambling practices, and is fully optimised for mobile gaming on any device through any browser. All of these factors, combined with the attractive welcome bonus, make Royal Panda stand out from other NZ casino sites.
- Well-stocked Live Casino section
- A great number of promotions
- Extensive selection of jackpots
- Popular software providers present
- Limited withdrawal options
- Prolonged payouts
Being one of the oldest online casino sites, Betway has managed to establish a secure platform where NZ players can enjoy the best online casino games, either directly on the website or through one of the mobile apps for iOS and Android. It offers several ways for contacting customer support, which is also remarkably responsive, showing that customers are truly their priority.
Primarily a sports betting site, Betway has compiled a surprisingly large selection of online casino games. What really stands out are the many variations of the classic casino games – Blackjack, Roulette, and Baccarat. Lovers of land-based casinos will feel truly at home here. The generous welcome bonus is another alluring feature that attracts new players.
- High payout rates
- Substantial offer of live casino games
- Multiple options for contacting customer support
- Instant play available
- High wagering requirements
- Bonuses have a short validity period
Casumo online casino boasts an attractive yet simple design, which makes the platform extremely user-friendly. It offers several secure payment methods and quickly processes all transactions. Withdrawal requests are processed in a matter of hours, and the provider doesn’t charge any fees for withdrawing online casino winnings.
Like other popular online casinos, Casumo has a good amount of online pokies and live dealer games. You can play all games in demo mode, the only exception is the live dealers. When playing for real money, look for medium volatility and high RTP pokies that offer significant payouts. The variety of high RTP real money games is something that Casumo prides itself on.
- Intuitive interface design
- Android and iOS apps
- There aren’t any deposit or withdrawal fees
- Good selection of casino games
- The free spins can be used on one game only
- Some games have trouble loading
New Zealand players at Wazamba online casino are greeted with a generous welcome bonus, but there are plenty of other casino promotions available to returning players. This Kiwi casino also awards freebies to anyone that wants to engage in sports betting. Plus, the wagering requirements are pretty reasonable on all the offers and free spins.
On the platform, Kiwis can choose from a variety of slots, jackpots, table games, and live dealer games while enjoying the fun and elaborate interface design. Many of the games are available in demo mode, so players don’t even have to register or make a deposit to test out the casino online games.
- Great selection of casino games
- Demo mode is available
- Substantial welcome bonus
- Customer support is available 24/7
- Slower loading times
- No mobile apps
Among New Zealand online casinos, Karamba stands out with its no-deposit bonus. Upon registration, each new player is awarded 20 free spins that don’t require any payments. Plus, there’s another, larger deposit bonus awarded to all new players depositing for the first time.
If that’s not enough, the online casino has a rich game selection that’s easy to navigate due to the platform’s design. The online pokies make up a good part of the selection, but live dealer games are also prominently featured. Players can engage in sports betting, including virtual sports too.
- Instant-play online casino games
- No deposit free spins
- Well-developed VIP programme
- Great payout rates
- Only a few progressive jackpots
- A limited number of table games
Not only is SlotsPalace one of the top online casinos available in New Zealand, but it’s also one of the few platforms that accept cryptocurrency. It accepts several cryptocurrencies in addition to the numerous traditional payment methods and doesn’t charge fees on any of the transactions.
As the name suggests, this is a pokie casino with the main focus on slot games. There is plenty to choose from in this category, but table games, jackpots, and Live casino games are also present for those looking for a more immersive experience.
- Wide variety of payment methods
- Fast transactions
- Optimised for mobile
- Impressive slot selection
- No mobile apps
- Traditional payment methods have low withdrawal limits
If you’re looking for online casinos that don’t require lengthy registration, then Wildz Casino is the right choice for you. Signing up takes only a few minutes, and all deposits are instant, so you can instantly start playing on this online casino site.
In terms of online gambling, the options at Wildz are quite few. Jackpots – simple and progressive – slots, table games, and a live casino section are available in this NZ online casino. Wildz is also one of the best online casinos when it comes to gaming providers; the games are supplied by the best providers in the industry, such as NetEnt, Play’n GO, and Evolution Gaming.
- Instant deposits
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- Great bonus policy
- Good selection of progressive jackpots
- Credit and debit card withdrawals can take longer
- No mobile app
If you’re looking for the best online casino that you can commit to, Rocket Casino should be near the top of your list. Anyone can become a VIP at this online gaming platform – you can just email and ask to become a VIP. The players in the programme are awarded loyalty points for each wager they place. You can later exchange these points and use them on real money games.
As for the game selection, at Rocket Casino, you’ll find all the usual categories, each of them stocked with a good number of games, but what really stands out is theBitcoin games category. It goes without saying – you’ll be able to enjoy the perks of banking with crypto.
- Quick and simple registration
- Fast transactions
- Bitcoin accepted
- Excellent VIP programme
- Some games are slow to load
- Welcome bonus not available for all deposit methods
Online casino players that are looking for a provider that offers high payouts should check out Casimba Casino. Despite the above-average payout rate, this is a safe online casino where NZ players can deposit with a variety of payment methods.
The online casino gaming offer is quite attractive, too; there are all the usual slots and table games, but what really deserves attention are the Must Go Jackpots and the Drops and Wins categories. Well-established providers supply the slots and table games for this online casino, while the live dealer section is among the most extensive from the New Zealand casino sites.
- Great game selection from reputable providers
- Extremely generous welcome bonus
- Excellent mobile compatibility
- Superb security features
- Strict Terms & Conditions on the welcome bonus
- Longer withdrawal periods
How We Rate the Best NZ Online Casinos
Whenever we set out to rate New Zealand online casinos, we adhere to a strict methodology that ensures we cover all the key criteria that a reputable and safe online casino should fulfill. This includes:
- Licensing – The first thing we look for in an online casino is a license; all the online casino operators we review are licensed by a regulatory body in the gaming industry. NZ online casino sites are usually licensed by the UK Gambling Commission or the Malta Gaming Authority.
- Security – To ensure the safety of NZ players, we recommend platforms that protect the personal and financial information of their players. We’re looking for the best online casinos that implement SSL encryption, among some other security methods.
- Fair Play – One of the signs of trusted online casinos is provably fair games; to prove the games are fair, the platforms need to be willing to undergo third-party audits that test whether the games truly provide fair play to players.eCOGRA oriTech Labs are great examples.
- Trusted Software Providers – When the game selection is supplied by reputable providers in the iGaming industry, not only can players rest assured that the quality is top-notch but also that these games are fair.
- Mobile Experience – Among the first things we consider is whether the online casino sites are optimised for use on mobile browsers. Then, we check whether they have dedicated mobile apps that accompany the platform and test how well these apps work.
- Customer Support – For any online casino site, customer support is particularly important. We source information on the available methods for getting in touch with support and test the response time, then assess their ability to provide solutions to a problem.
- Clear Withdrawal Policies – Withdrawing online casino winnings can sometimes be tricky, and some online gaming platforms may impose high fees on each withdrawal. We only select NZ casino sites that don’t charge any fees, or if they do, they are clearly stated so players don’t feel cheated out of their money.
- Fast Withdrawals – Although the withdrawal period often depends on the chosen method, it’s important that the online casino is quick in processing withdrawal requests. The casino sites on our list either offer methods that provide instant withdrawals or minimise the payout time with fast processing.
- Reliable Payment Methods – Reputable New Zealand casinos partner up with well-known payment providers to make the payment process easier, the transactions more secure, and provide easier access to real money games.
- Game Variety – Last but not least, we always consider the variety of casino games; choosing an online casino with a varied selection of titles ensures that players can have the full experience on these casino sites and don’t have to switch somewhere else to play a specific game.
Popular Payment Methods Used by the Most Trusted NZ Online Casinos
The payment methods available at an online casino can be the deciding factor as to whether someone chooses to play on the platform. Below, you’ll see the most common methods available in the best online casinos in New Zealand:
- Debit and credit cards – All reputable casinos accept card payments, usually MasterCard and Visa cards. There has been some talk about banning credit cards from online casinos, so before making a deposit, check to confirm you’re within the bounds of the law.
- PayPal – Being one of the most popular and secure payment methods, PayPal is widely accepted at NZ casino sites. This e-wallet allows for instant deposits and quick withdrawals, so it’s the go-to choice of many casino players.
- Paysafecard – As a prepaid card, Paysafecard is probably the most secure way to make deposits at casino sites. However, this is not a viable withdrawal option, so players have to add another method for withdrawing their winnings from casino sites.
- Neteller – This digital wallet allows for both deposits and withdrawals to and from casino websites; it’s extremely easy to use, and transactions are fast, so that’s why many people prefer it over other methods. However, it’s usually not eligible for bonuses.
- Skrill – Another e-wallet, Skrill works in the same as PayPal and Neteller; you can use it to make deposits at internet casinos, but you’ll have to check whether it’s available for withdrawals. This usually depends on the casino provider. Like Neteller, you may not be able to claim your bonus with a Skrill deposit.
- ecoPayz – As a payment solution, ecoPayzhas become quite popular in recent years. It’s safe, convenient, and easy to use; the one downside is that at some online casinos, NZ players won’t receive any deposit bonuses when using this method.
- Bank transfer – Not as popular as other payments, the traditional bank transfer is a viable option at secure online casino sites. This involves linking your bank account to the online casino, which many people want to avoid. Plus, withdrawals can take quite a long time.
- Cryptocurrencies – Some online casino sites accept cryptocurrencies, usually more popular ones, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash. These are a great choice because payments are completely anonymous, and transactions are extra fast.
Advantages to Play at Trusted Online Casinos
- Fair Bonus Offers
- Secure Software
- Clear Withdrawal Policies
Disadvantages to Play at Secure Online Casinos
- Longer Registration Process / Additional Identity Verification
- Low Level of User Privacy
Popular Casino Games Played in New Zealand
New Zealand residents have access to a large number of online casinos, but it’s interesting to see what games are the users’ favourites. Let’s take a look at the most popular online casino games on these platforms:
- Pokies – Pokies, more widely known as slots, are gambling machines that can be found in nearly all land-based casinos. We can say the same for online casinos, too. They’re fun and easy to play, which accounts for their popularity.
- Blackjack – A classic casino game, Blackjack is a card game that’s easy to understand and follow. It also has a high RTP rate, so players flock towards it. Online casinos include Blackjack in their table games category, but also among the live dealer games.
- Poker – This card game is widely played in New Zealand; casino-goers can either play it as a table game in the Live Casino lobby or opt for the video poker option.
- Roulette – Another one of the classic casino games, Roulette is a game of chance. All players need to do is place their bets and wait to see where the ball lands. Each well-stocked online casino offers Roulette games in the Live Dealer section.
- Craps – Another game of chance, the outcome of Craps is determined by a dice roll. Players don’t need any previous knowledge or skill to enjoy this game, and that’s what makes it so popular.
Gambling Laws in New Zealand
Gambling in New Zealand is legal under theGambling Act 2003; all forms of gambling that aren’t covered by this act are prohibited. In addition to complying with the Gambling Act, all establishments that offer gambling need to be licensed and adhere to minimum standards and game rules.
Private gambling, bookmaking, and remote interactive gambling are prohibited in New Zealand. For those that want to gamble at a casino, whether in person or online, the minimum legal age is 20 years old. Other forms of wagering, such as sports betting, scratchcards, and lottery tickets, are available to anyone that’s over 18 years old.
Nevertheless, you can access offshore online casinos, including our recommendations, without any legal repercussions. The only thing you need to be particularly careful about when gambling online is checking the license of the online gambling site and making sure it is safe.
Is online gambling legal in New Zealand?
Online gambling in New Zealand is offered by foreign providers; no NZ providers can operate online gambling sites, but residents are allowed to play at online casinos offered by offshore providers.
Are online casinos safe?
Most online gambling platforms are completely safe, but there are still some that avoid certain regulations. However, if you choose a licenced platform with games from reputable providers who implement responsible gambling, you can be sure it’s perfectly safe.
What is the legal gambling age in New Zealand?
The legal age for gambling at a casino is 20 years of age; people younger than 20 can’t enter land-based casinos or use any of the casinos online.
What body regulates gaming in New Zealand?
The Department of Internal Affairs regulates gambling in New Zealand and ensures that all offered forms of gambling are in compliance with the Gambling Act 2003.
Do I have to pay taxes on my gambling winnings in New Zealand?
Under New Zealand law, gambling winnings aren’t regarded as taxable income. Thus, gamblers don’t have to pay taxes on their winnings.
How can I find information on gambling addiction in New Zealand?
Those facing gambling addiction can call one of the several helplines available to New Zealand residents, text 8006, or talk to their general practitioner – they can refer you to a psychiatrist or a counsellor.